Digital Birmingham is a Birmingham City Council initiative and part of a city wide strategic partnership of more than 40 public, private and voluntary organisations
iTools & resources
European Broadband Portal
The European Broadband Portal (EBP) is a follow up action of the European Commission resulting from the Bridging the Broadband Gap Conference (14-15 May 2007, Brussels) which concluded that there was a need to support public authorities in areas under-served by broadband to improve supply and conditions of supply.
The development of the EBP has been initiated by the European Commission (DG Information Society & Media) following an open Call for Tender for the supply of a "Web Portal for Exchange of Good Practice for Broadband Deployment". The project commenced in January 2008 and will last for a period of 30 months.
The project seeks to create a coherent on-line community of relevant stakeholders, providing them with the tools for effective sharing of experiences and good practices and a participatory environment for seeking common and shared solutions.
The European Broadband Portal aims to:
- stimulate the exchange of best practices and the sharing of experiences;
- facilitate demand aggregation and joint procurement;
- act as a central information platform, publishing calls for tender and other notices;
- become in this way a virtual meeting point between suppliers and local governments;
- permit sparsely populated areas to coordinate their demands for broadband, establishing a critical mass for technological solutions, such as satellite, that provide large coverage.
The Portal provides its users with access to:
- Secure registration and login profile;
- News features updates daily and a monthly newsletter; Calendar and schedule of events;
- User noticeboard, Wiki, and user surveys;
- Chat forums and on-line thematic discussion groups;
- Access (for upload and retrieval) to searchable databases of
- broadband projects,
- broadband strategies & action plans,
- calls for tender and pre-notifications,
- industry suppliers,
- EU policy & regulation.
- Assessment, analyses and reviews of good practice broadband projects;
- Syntheses of good practice broadband projects and strategies;
- Guides to Good Practice on broadband deployment in under-served areas (To-Do Check List for public authorities);
- Animation of on-line discussions and related fora;
- User participation in portal design, development and maintenance, through these groups:
- Editorial Board
- Expert Advisory Group
- Industry Liaison Committee
- National Contact Points
- Apple 1 from 1976 sells for $650,000
- Hay Festival 2013: Teenagers' mistakes will stay with them forever, warns Google chief Eric Schmidt
- Teenagers' mistakes will stay with them forever, warns Google chief Eric Schmidt
- Original Apple 1 computer sells for over £441,000
- Painting through the power of thought enabled by scientists