Digital Birmingham is a Birmingham City Council initiative and part of a city wide strategic partnership of more than 40 public, private and voluntary organisations
Stay Warm, Stay Well in Birmingham
Digital Birmingham together with Birmingham City Council's Homes & Neighbourhoods Directorate and Adults & Communities Directorate and other partner agencies have been awarded £600,000 as part of the Warm Homes and Healthy People Fund from the Department of Health (DoH). The Warm Homes Healthy People fund aims to support local authorities in partnership with their local community, voluntary sector and statutory organisations to reduce the levels of deaths and morbidity in their local authority that are due to vulnerable people living in cold housing this winter.
Stay Warm, Stay Well in Birmingham Initiative
Some Birmingham neighbourhoods have over 40% of homes in fuel poverty and six constituencies are in the top 20 most fuel poor in the UK. Hospital records show significant numbers of elderly people are at risk. The Stay Warm, Stay Well in Birmingham initiative will support 18,000 vulnerable people access:
- rapid referral, assessment and intervention
- energy saving advice in homes and community venues
- physical measures to access Telecare systems etc
- cold weather alert systems
- money advice, particularly benefit checks and utility 'switching' options
- use of a property log book to record energy consumption
- access to Birmingham's Looking Local digital TV channel to increase engagement & up-take of services
Digital Birmingham have been commissioned to incorporate information around affordable warmth, income maximisation and energy saving issues for households on Birmingham's Looking Local channel to ensure that:
- information is accessible by as many householders in Birmingham as possible via different devices, TV, phone, smart phone, Web, Nintendo wii, iPad etc.
- to carry out a pilot to establish the use of digital property logs that support residents and landlords to monitor their energy consumption and making the best use of information specific to them and their home via the use of www.homelogbook.co